The Victorian
                            Era Shop Absinthe For Sale Links Welcome Fairy Tales Contact Absinthe Law Absinthe
                            History Absinthe
                            Artifacts

Gene Pressler

In 1874, before it was known as The Old Absinthe House, the building was leased and called "Absinthe Room" because of the many requests for the drink, which was served in the traditional French manner. Stationed along the long bar were marble fountains with brass faucets which slowly dripped cool water, drop by drop, over the sugar cubes perched above the glasses on a slotted spoon.

Absinthe was also enjoyed in San Francisco, Chicago and New York, which had a popular restaurant called Absinthe House. Up until 1912, many more of the exotic bars in NY would serve an absinthe cocktail. However, on July 25, 1912, the Department of Agriculture issued Food Inspection Decision 147, which banned absinthe in America.